loading
I am currently looking for someone to help out with this blog. I didn't realize the scope that this blog would effect. Hits from countries in political strife and the like, people looking for a way to communicate outside of government control. If you would like to help please send me an email George dot Endrulat at Gmail dot Com.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Small-isp: Atheros Ap51 for my mesh...

Small-isp: Atheros Ap51 for my mesh...

Atheros Ap51 for my mesh...

..as you can read in some of my post's i plan to deploy a network in a lowincome area
to provide them internet they can afford.
Doing this means i need a hardware and firmwarebase with very low total cost because i'm still an comercial and this means i have to watch how much is leaving my pocket and whats comming in to it . By searching for an solution i found the open-mesh system it's based on Robin (Routing Batmann Inside) using open-wrt kamikaze for the Atheros Ap51 devices such as Meraki ,Fonera , ore the Accton OEM device open-mesh is selling. The Accton MR3201A they selling has 8/32 MB Flash/Ram and cost 49$ each ore 39$ in lots of 20 wich is a very good price. The only Problem for me is i live in germany an shippingcost for a batch of 20 is 250$ so i will end up with 52$ each wich is about 34Euros at the moment. Another option will be the Fonera from FON . They have 8/16MB Flash/Ram wich is still enough for the robin firmware . Fon is selling them for 14,95Euro in lots of 20 you end up with 16 euro each inklusiv shipping cost. So i desided that i will take the foneras for this projekt but the Acctons still have some pros because they have more ram and they are already flashed with the robin firmware and dont loose waranty like the foneras whenthey have to be flashed .
Another thing is you never now what fon is shipping to you, my first order of 2 foneras have been 2200 types they are easy to flash , my second order of 10 foneras have been 2100A/B/Ctypes they are not so easy to flash because you have to enable ssh with a hack and install redboot before you can flash them with the robin firmware. I had no problems flashing the foneras 2100 but i'm sure that it
may looks kryptic for beginners ore linux-newbys so the Accton device have definitiv his place.
p.s. i may write down the needed steps for flashing the fonera2100A/B/C in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment