loading
I am currently looking for someone to help out with this blog. I didn't realize the scope that this blog would effect. Hits from countries in political strife and the like, people looking for a way to communicate outside of government control. If you would like to help please send me an email George dot Endrulat at Gmail dot Com.

Monday, May 16, 2011

I am an IT professional looking for volunteers to help build a chicagoland wireless mesh network. : chicago

I am an IT professional looking for volunteers to help build a chicagoland wireless mesh network. : chicago
all 32 comments

[–]metawhat 4 points 3 months ago

Have you seen this?

http://openmeshproject.org/

[–]eddiemoya 3 points 3 months ago*

Woodlawn and 53rd St. (actually closer to 54th, but you said major) in Hyde Park.

I'm a applications developer for the tribune.

To my shame, networking is not exactly a strong suit of mine, but let me know how I can help.

Note: As far as elevation goes, im ground level (actually slightly below ground level actually, lol. When in the Apt, ground level is about waste high.)

[–]metawhat 3 points 3 months ago

I'm interested and I have a technical background. I can provide DNS, web-hosting and email easily, and might even be willing to connect the email server to the internet.

Hermitage and Leland

Randolph and Michigan

[–]TheSov [S] 3 points 3 months ago

sweet! both locations?

[–]metawhat 3 points 3 months ago

Hermitage and Leland for certain, downtown is less likely but still a possibility.

I'm around 20 feet in the air in Ravenswood and around 200 downtown.

Let me know about the meetup.

[–]kitsy 2 points 3 months ago

I'd be interested in helping/learning more. I'm at California & Milwaukee.

[–]ArvidMan 2 points 3 months ago

you know you can count me in!

[–]thekrone 2 points 3 months ago

Interested. Chicago and Western.

[–]vvelox 2 points 3 months ago

Could be interesting, but it will take a nice bit of people to make this work in any usable fashion. Because of this I question if it would work in any realistic fashion as you will need a node or two block, if not more.

In regard to a more sparse network, this will require rooftop and/or tower access as well as mode dedicated equipment as well. It would also limit it to small areas as well.

/me use to do this in SE KS.

[–]demian64 1 point 3 months ago

Any south side love in this project?

[–]TheSov [S] 1 point 3 months ago

just 1 so far.

[–]DonnCuailnge 1 point 3 months ago

I'm defintitely interested, but I'm moving (within Chicago) in the late spring. Keep me posted!

[–]facestab 1 point 3 months ago

Damen Webster

[–]Scannn 1 point 3 months ago

I would love to help/learn..

[–]AmericasNextTopModel 1 point 3 months ago

Streeterville highrise apartment... let me know what I can do...

[–]try_lefthanded 1 point 3 months ago

I'd love to help in anyway I can. I don't think my location would help to much but any knowledge / experience / time I can give would be fun.

[–]TheSov [S] 1 point 3 months ago

the more help the better :)

[–]try_lefthanded 1 point 3 months ago

by the by, I have much linux experience especially with custom builds. limited networking knowledge but enough to be dangerous.

[–]Wh0IsMrX 1 point 3 months ago

I won't be in the city on a permanent basis until sometime around May but I'll likely be in Lincoln Park and absolutely want to be a part of this.

[–]jakuu 1 point 3 months ago

I've had this same idea for years between friends. I have some gear for it already as well. I'm certainly interested.

I'm in Lincoln Park, and have roof access on my apartment. :)

[–]chuj 1 point 3 months ago

Why ? dsl, cable or even 3g is way faster and more reliable, cheaper then creating and maintaining wireless mesh network would be.

[–]TheSov [S] 2 points 3 months ago*

you are obviously missing the point. I'm not going to tell you the point either. If you feel there would be nothing to gain from a massive private network, feel free not to participate.

[–]dakilla91 1 point 3 months ago

What the hell? You propose a project and when someone asks you why you tell them "no"

No one is going to insult you if you provide your reasoning in building a giant private network.

[–]crashblossom 1 point 3 months ago

look, there are people who are interested in mesh networking, and there are people who say "why? 3g is already there."

i'd rather not rely on AT&T, verizon and comcast, and it doesn't hurt to have private citizens with infrastructure upkeep knowledge.

[–]TheSov [S] 1 point 3 months ago*

I believe the reasons for such a network are pretty self explanatory. the biggest reason is probably to give people access to a private network which can utilize alot of data transfer that would not require a monthly fee to use, as opposed to say an isp that has hard bandwidth caps.

[–]vvelox -1 points 3 months ago

In regards to lots of data, I really don't think a mesh network will really cut it in regards to this.

A single user chewing up bandwidth can fairly quickly ruin it for a large number of other users.

[–]dakilla91 -2 points 3 months ago

So in other words, illegal forms of media?

[–]vvelox 1 point 3 months ago

Illegal forms of media? And just what would this happen to mean? Basically not a bloody thing as their is not a form of media that is illegal.

I believe you mean copy right infringement or something along those lines.

Also there are plenty of reasons to want bandwidth outside of that.

Just in truth if you need any sort of bandwidth, a network like this will be fairly bad.

[–]chuj 0 points 3 months ago

massive or private , can't have both

[–]TheSov [S] 5 points 3 months ago

how about private metropolitan area network then? ITS A PRIVATE MAN MAN!

[–]asundevil 0 points 3 months ago

sounds like the pirate box: http://www.thepiratebox.net/

[–]TheSov [S] 1 point 3 months ago

no, no it doesnt.

kw: mesh, networking, freedom, p2p, internet, bitcoin, asterisk, google, google voice, android, root, free, wireless, data, linux, voip, voice

No comments:

Post a Comment